Wednesday, April 24, 2013

From a Small Study to a Large Painting

"Foggy El Moro Morning" from my last post is a little 8 x 10 I did on location at one of my favorite places to paint lately. I would call it my muse, but I'm not sure you can say that about a place. In any case, I seem to be endlessly inspired there. No matter the conditions, I want to paint there. Up close, far away...I can't really explain it. Anyway, I thought this was a perfect piece to use as a study for a larger work. I chose to paint it as a 20 x 24. Here are the original study and the two large pieces I did from that painting. I did two, because I wasn't happy with the composition of the first one, though there are some elements I like too. In fact I'm sort of torn between the two and can't decide which I like more. Let me know if have an opinion. I'd like to hear what you think.









Foggy El Moro Morning 20 x 24 inches














Fog Burning Off 20 x 24 inches














You can see how I changed the mood and scale in the second one, but I did work a bit more on it after I decided I wanted to make a few basic changes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment