Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Shelter Dog #1

A couple of things came together in inspiring me to paint this one. First off, I really loved painting the portraits of my friend's and family's dogs that I did as gifts for last Christmas.
Secondly, I was hugely inspired by the artist Karin Jurick, who did an entire series of mugshots she got from the internet. So I combined the two ideas to do a series on shelter dogs. You know, those incredibly sad portraits of dogs who need a home whose photos are on the websites of your local animal shelter. After doing paintings of clearly happy dogs, it was instantly clear that these dogs were not happy at all. It's a real challenge to catch their expression and try to convey something more than that this is a certain breed of dog. Hopefully it won't be too much of a downer.
To Bid on this painting please click: here, or on the Daily Paintworks widget at your right.

No comments:

Post a Comment